Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Love holiday...greeting card holiday...cupid's holiday...candy holiday...worst day of the year---Valentine's Day is many things to many people.  My favorite part of Valentine's Day growing up, was decorating a Valentine Box for all our cards and candy from school.  I sure hope they still do that when my boys get to school!

In my adult life, Valentine's Day has gotten much less exciting.  It seems like poor guys are expected to jump through hoops on Valentine's Day.  I feel bad for those guys that have to go out of their way to please their gal. (I know one gal in particular that will be quite upset if the perfect gift/flowers/dinner/jewelry are not part of the festivities.)  That seems to defeat the purpose of the day.  If it is supposed to be about love, then why not just focus on that?  I guess it is fine for everyone to celebrate however they see fit, but I think it is just like any other day.  

Of course it is nice to do something special for your other half, but really it just needs to be something sincere and heart-felt.  It seems like guys feel they are obligated to put on a show for this day.   To me, there is no need to spend a bunch of money on a gift or something.  I think it is just important to tell the one you love how you feel about them.  (Personally, I like love letters and poetry--and on any day of the year!)  Both cost nothing and are actually worth a whole lot more than a bouquet of flowers or a diamond necklace.  Be that as it may, I truly appreciate everything my husband does for me each day of the year, not just on Valentine's Day. 

"A simple I love you means more than money."
~Frank Sinatra
"If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever."
~Alfred Lord Tennyson
"There is only one happiness in life: to love and be loved."
~George Sand
"Love is when the other person’s happiness is more important than your own."
~H. Jackson Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment.

I reserve the right to hide/remove any comments I deem inappropriate. Please comment constructively and respectfully. No SPAM please.